This is a generalized article. For more details on the Gorgon individuals, see Fury, Euryale or Medusa.
The Gorgon sisters are a group of villains composed of the three mythological Gorgons: Fury, Euryale and Medusa. These three magical beings are issued from the famous tale of the Greek hero Perseus who, according to legend, defeated all three of them by using their own reflection against them.
It is said that in ancient times, Fury, Euryale and Medusa ruled over all magical creatures with an iron fist, forcing them to do their biding. But one day, an unnamed hero (presumably Perseus) appeared and challenged them in a fight. He used his shield as a mirror and, thanks to their own reflection, turned all three Gorgons to stone. They remained trapped as statues for hundreds of years until Fury was accidentally awakened by Professor Rotwood during a visit to the Cosmopolitan Museum of Art.
The Gorgon sisters are depicted as beautiful thin women with dark, tan skin. Their hair is made of dark green snakes that have a mind of their own. They usually wear dresses inspired by actual clothes of ancient Greece (such as togas), sandals, bronze bracelets, and other similar accessories.
This description is completely opposite to the usual appearance authors give to the Gorgon trio, especially Medusa, who is often described as a venomous snake-headed monster with brass claws, and sometimes even with golden wings, snake fangs and scaly skin.
Gorgons have the power to turn anyone who lays their eyes on them to stone. Usually, this happens instantly upon looking at a Gorgon's face and turning into statues permanently with no cure. The victims will sometimes crack to pieces and die. However, in the series, Fury, Euryale and Medusa must first trigger this power by making their eyes glow bright red. Anyone who looks at them during that time will be turned to stone. This type of stone is just in a petrified state rather than a statue as a death state. The three sisters must also use this power in each other's presence, otherwise they will only be able to hypnotize their victims. Fury, Euryale and Medusa use this ability more than once in order to capture and slay the American Dragon, although they always ultimately fail. In order to turn someone cursed as a statue back to normal, the Gorgon sisters must either shoot them with bolts of energy or be turned to stone themselves.Fury, Euryale and Medusa also have the power of mind control, the weaker form of their paralyzing glare. They hypnotized Stacey Wintergrin's cheerleading team plus Trixie, forcing them to do their biding and attack Jake and Spud. Trixie was the only one able to break free from the spell on her own because of the friendship she shares with Spud. Later on, the spell is broken for the rest of the cheerleading squad when the Gorgon sisters are once again imprisoned in stone and sink at the bottom of the Hudson River. The victims have no recollection of their actions after being hypnotized.
The Gorgon sisters also appear to have super strength. One example is when they push Jake trapped in stone all the way from school to the harbor. They can also shoot energy out of their hands and use their snakes as weapons. If one of the Gorgons is freed, she will have the power to free her other sisters from stone, though Fury is the only one with the inborn ability to locate her sisters.
- In ancient Greek mythology, Fury is sometimes called Stheno, and Medusa sometimes Gorgo;
- In most versions of Perseus' legend, Medusa is the only Gorgon of the three who can turn others to stone;
- According to legend, Fury and Euryale are immortal while Medusa remains mortal;
- In Fu Dog's book explaining the origin of the Gorgons, they are seen turning a Phoenix, a Sea Serpent, a Unicorn and a Dragon into slaves;
- When the Gorgons sisters first awaken, they are situated in three different places: Fury in the basement of the Cosmopolitan Museum; Euryale in a company building called "Vidal Gorgon" as a fountain ornament; and Medusa at the bottom of the Hudson River;
- In total, the Gorgons have turned four people (not including themselves) to stone: Jake (twice), Lao Shi, Fu Dog, and a random construction worker;
- In total, the Gorgons have hypnotized six people: Stacey, Lacey, Tracey, Trixie, and two random fishermen.
- Fury claims that their mother always tell that Fury is the prettier one out of the three, but it was actual proved.
- The Gorgons are depicted to trap their enemies in stone and the enemies can be released out of the stone, but in real-life, Gorgons can trap people in stone and the victims can't be free and they'll just crack into pieces (like Clash of the Titans).
- The name Gorgon is also pronounced in another way in the show.
- In some tales, Gorgons are said to have spiny, golden wings, bronze claws, green skin, and a long and slimy forked tongue.